An allergy is the over-reaction of body’s immune system to allergens such as pollens, foods, some pets and house dust mite. Though, for most people, these substances referred to as allergens pose no problem but in allergic individuals their immune system treats them as threat and thus produces an inappropriate response. Curcumin, the main component of turmeric, has proven to be effective in preventing the onset of allergic reactions.
Allergies result from activity of excessive amount of histamine, a chemical released in the body when one comes in contact of an allergen. Curcumin, being a superior anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic, reduces the release of histamine and thus can stop activation of allergic reactions.
Signs And Symptoms Of Allergy
The allergic reactions can be manifested by:
- Runny and itchy nose
- Sneezing associated with itchy red eyes.
- Redness of skin and rashes
- Excessive cough, wheezing, and shortage of breath.
- Nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort and diarrhea.
- Severe allergies (known as anaphylactic shock) can cause drastic throat swelling, acute asthma attack and a drop in blood pressure and can be life-threatening.
How Allergic reactions Start
Allergies can be IgE (Immunoglobulin E) mediated and non-IgE mediated. In IgE mediated allergies, the immune system reacts to allergens by producing excessive amount of IgE antibodies particular to allergens. Every time this allergy happens body produces histamine and other chemicals which then results in allergic symptoms. Sometimes, immune system may respond to allergies without producing IgE antibodies; the mechanism of this reaction is not clearly known.
Risk factors related to allergies
Certain factors increase the risk of allergies and include the following:
- Age – Younger children are more prone to suffer from allergies than adults; though a lot of times children outgrow allergies as they grow older.
- Family History of Asthma or allergies – Individuals with a family history of asthma or allergies are at higher risk of developing allergies themselves.
- Personal History of Asthma or allergies – Having history of asthma or allergic reaction to one thing can actually indicate increased risk of other allergies as well.
Complications occurring from allergies
- Anaphylaxis – Severe allergic reactions can result in anaphylaxis which can be serious.
- Asthma – Those with allergies have a heightened risk of having asthma.
- Various other infections – Allergic people are prone to getting dermatitis, sinusitis, and other infections such as ears and lung infections.
- Fungal complications involving lungs – Allergic fungal sinusitis and allergic Broncho pulmonary aspergillosis can develop in those allergic to mold. Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA) is an allergic or hypersensitive reaction to a fungus found in the soil.
How to diagnose allergies?
- Physical Exam — Detailed physical exam is conducted to confirm the signs and symptoms of allergies. Usually patient is recommended to maintain a food diary to check for foods causing reaction.
- Blood Tests — Blood test referred to as radio-allergosorbent test (RAST) can be done to check immune response to a particular allergen. The test measures the amount of allergy-causing antibodies (known as immunoglobulin E or IgE antibodies) present in bloodstream.
- Skin Test — In order to check for triggers, skin is pricked and a very small amount of potential allergens are given. Allergy specialists then analyze the same and interpret the test.
What Should Be Done To Prevent Allergic reactions?
- Trigger avoidance — Avoid known allergens to prevent symptomatic triggering.
- Symptom diary — Maintain a diary of symptoms that will help to find out what all allergens one gets symptoms with and thus identified triggers can be avoided.
Can Allergies Be Treated With Turmeric?
Turmeric, derived from rhizomes (underground stems) of the plant Curcuma longa, a member of the ginger family, is the ultimate concoction for your allergic woes with its diverse medicinal effects. Turmeric has been known to stop the activation of allergic reactions since centuries.
A study published in the Journal of Molecular Nutrition and Food Research in 2008 found that turmeric prevented mast cells from releasing histamine.
Curcumin, a polyphenol, is the main active component of turmeric responsible for its therapeutic effects including anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, anti-oxidant and immunomodulation properties following oral or topical administration.
Curcumin for allergies has proven benefits as it a superior anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic and immunomodulatory agent. However, common curcumin fails to exert 100% of its therapeutic effects due to:
- Poor bioavailability
- Less permeability and extensive systemic metabolism
- Need to be combined with additional compounds to improve absorption
- Contains only 3-5% of curcumin
To counter fight the disadvantages of common curcumin, a novel formulation, SNEC30 (Self-nano emulsifying curcumin 30 mg) has been developed that has anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic and immuno-modulatory properties without posing any adverse effects. SNEC30 is the latest generation of scientifically formulated bioactive co-developed by Arbro Pharmaceuticals Ltd, DSIR (Department for Scientific & Industrial Research, GOI) and Jamia Hamdard University.
SNEC30 uses Self Nano-Emulsifying Drug Delivery System (SNEDDS) for curcumin, which makes it the most effective agent to reduce pain and inflammation in arthritis. SNEC30 is patented through the prestigious United States Patent for drug delivery system.
- SNEC30 Uses SNEDDS for better Absorption, Highest Degree Of Bioavailability With Fast Action Mode
The US patented formulation of SNEC30 is based on Self Nano Emulsifying Drug Delivery System (SNEDDS) that helps it to achieve Cmax (peak serum concentration of any drug) of active curcuminoids several times more than its’ closest rival. SNEC30 forms a stable nano emulsion in stomach and bypasses the pre-systemic metabolism followed by absorption through the lipid absorption channel and the payers’ patches in the intestines. It also escapes Liver First Pass and directly reaches into systemic blood through lymphatic system providing the basis for high Cmax at a very low dose.
- Curcumin in SNEC30 has “NO Side Effects” – It Works in Harmony with Other Body Systems
Curcumin in SNEC30 works in a synchronized fashion working on cellular membranes to organize them more orderly. This not only improves the resistance of cells against infection and malignancy as well as works on various receptors to control inflammation and pain without causing any adverse effects.
- Curcumin in SNEC30 is a Superior Anti-Oxidant
Self nano-emulsifying curcumin used in SNEC30 neutralizes free radicals which makes it the best anti-oxidant. Its immunomodulatory action strengthens body’s immunity to fight against most microbial infections. SNEC30 also exerts antimicrobial and disinfectant properties for a wide range of topical bacterial and fungal infections.
What is SNEC30?
SNEC30 is like a whole pharmacy in itself working on various metabolic activities in body in a synergistic and harmonious fashion.
- The Issue With common Turmeric – It is a well known fact that that traditionally turmeric has been used in India for a variety of diseases and modern science has indeed confirmed that all these benefits of turmeric can be attributed to presence of Curcumin. Like citrus fruits are source of vitamin C, turmeric is known to be the source of Curcumin. Curcumin is a highly potent compound but its absorption through turmeric is not very easy.
Typically a turmeric root contains about 3-5% of Curcumin and thus taking non-standardized powdered turmeric root would entail intake of a very large amount in order to derive any benefit. At the same time, Curcumin from turmeric is not easily absorbed by the gastrointestinal tract. Turmeric in itself has conventionally required a lot of additional compounds and tedious methods (such as making a golden paste and other such recipes) to improve its absorption and still it suffers the issue of low absorption due to being expelled out of the body without being absorbed.
Effects Of SNEC30 On Allergies
SNEC30 helps to modulate immunity – Curcumin has known immune system modulation properties. Curcumin in SNEC30 can alter immune response so as to avoid hypersensitivity reaction. Allergies actually result from hypersensitive reaction of immune system and SNEC30 helps balance these reactions.
SNEC30 reduces histamine release and act as decongestant – SNEC30 contains highly potent form of Curcumin that acts as a decongestant and anti-histamine working on reducing mast cell degranulation which results in release of histamine. Thus it can treat chronic as well as acute allergies effectively.
SNEC30 works as inflammatory mediator inhibitor – SNEC30 acts as a natural leukotriene, an inflammatory mediator inhibitor for allergic reactions and thus helps in respiratory allergic conditions such as bronchial asthma and other lung problems.
SNEC30 brings down inflammation – Curcumin present in SNEC30 acts on reducing inflammation in asthma by inhibiting the activity of Notch-GATA signaling pathway while it suppresses the activity of nuclear factor kappa B- which is the master protein that regulates inflammation. Also SNEC30 alleviates airway inflammation by creating a balance of immune cells called T helper cells. These actions prevent hypersensitivity reaction. It also controls other biochemical agents so as to control the inflammation and also prevents narrowing of the airways. SNEC30 efficiently reduces bronchial inflammation related to asthma.
SNEC30 has anti-oxidant effect – Allergies trigger inflammatory response in the body. Curcumin present in SNEC30 helps in scavenging free radicals that attributes to inflammation and thus help relieve allergies.
SNEC30 works as anti-allergen – Since SNEC30 prevents accumulation of inflammatory cells while preventing constriction of airways. Also it helps with decrease in mucus production and it anti-allergic properties help reduce the incidences of allergy induced asthma.
SNEC30 acts as anti-microbial agent – Curcumin present in SNEC30 is known to have antimicrobial and antiseptic effect. It has natural ability to fight against bacterial and viral infections. It is as effective as antibiotics and helps eradicate respiratory infections which can trigger asthma attacks.
Dosage and Safety – SNEC30 is completely safe even at very high doses but ideal dose should be customized according to individual body requirement. Trials generally report very few, if any, adverse effects of SNEC30 even at very high dose. There have been no reports of toxicity following even large amount of turmeric ingestion.
All the information on this site is for the purpose of general education and in no way can substitute the consultation with an Ayurvedic doctor. It is highly recommended that you consult with your Ayurvedic doctor or health care provider to determine the individual requirements. Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not take any supplements without consulting their doctor.