Is achy and inflamed joint debilitating your everyday life? Does your knees feel achier than usual after you work out or become stiff and make you feel old when you climb out of bed? If the answer is “Yes”, then you are a victim of arthritis. Herein, commonly used steroids (short for corticosteroids) become the option to decrease pain and inflammation for this challenging disease.
Steroids are synthetic drugs that mimic the effects of cortisol, a hormone produced in the body naturally. Steroids decrease inflammation, reduce the activity of the immune system and are used to treat a variety of inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA), gout, lupus or other arthritis-related conditions.
Steroids can be injected directly into a joint or bursa (lubricating sac between certain tendons and the bones) or around tendons and other soft tissue areas, in a vein or muscle, given orally (tablets), topically (cream or ointment) or through inhalers.
Don’t confuse anabolic steroids with corticosteroids. Anabolic steroids are used for muscle growth by athletes and bodybuilders.
The Big Question
The use of steroids in RA and other arthritic condition is most debated due to its vast unwanted effects. Now, the question is, “Does long-term benefits of steroids outweigh the risk of side effects?” Steroids, in any method prescribed, presents a wide range of side effects as relief comes with a downside.
- Every time a joint gets a steroid shot, there’s a chance of infection and that risk increases with each shot in that joint.
- Oral steroids are the form most likely to cause more side effects as they affect the entire body.
Some believe that corticosteroids may be prescribed short-term until DMARDs (disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs) start working or long-term in low doses.
What Influences More?
The risk of experiencing side effects largely depends on:
- Type of steroid – Steroid tablets (oral corticosteroids) are 10 times more likely to cause adverse effects than inhalers or injections.
- Dose – High dose of steroids equals to greater risk of developing side effects.
- Duration of treatment – Long-term use puts you at greater risk.
- Age factor – Young children and elderly are more likely to experience side effects
Why Steroids Are Bad For You?
- Steroids Are Harsh On Your Skin – Acne, easy bruising and tearing of skin, skin atrophy, stretch marks in armpits and groin, increased hair thickness and length.
- Impact On Eyes – Blurred vision, cataracts or glaucoma
- Alters Your Mood – Rapid mood swings and mood changes such as becoming aggressive, irritable and short-tempered with people
- Disturbs Sleep Pattern – Steroid users commonly experience sleep disturbances, which may exacerbate other underlying emotional issues or compulsions.
- Attacks Cardiovascular System – Increase the rate of atherosclerosis, fluid retention leading to high blood pressure,
- Imbalances Your Diet Chart – Increased appetite potentially leads to weight gain if you have no control over what you eat.
- Alters Immunity –Causes lower resistance to immunity
- Weakens Your Bones – Steroids exert major effects on the metabolism of calcium, vitamin D and bone, which leads to loss of bone mass, osteoporosis, and broken bones.
- Gastrointestinal Ulcers – Steroids can cause irritation or bleed from the stomach mucosal layer.
- Mental Health Disturbances – It can include depression, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, and confusion.
- Effects On Diabetes Mellitus – Rheumatoid arthritis treatment with steroid therapy (glucocorticoid) raises the risk of diabetes, which increases with higher dosages and longer duration.
- Steroid Abuse – Long-term use of steroids can lead to dependence which can create a strong psychological or physical addiction. Once hooked, it can be difficult and even dangerous to quit the drugs at once, especially without medical supervision.
Turmeric: An Absolute Substitute Of Steroids
Turmeric and pain share an ancient connection as a glass of turmeric milk have become the first choice for achy joints (Ask any mom!). Turmeric, derived from rhizomes (underground stems) of the plant Curcuma longa, a member of the ginger family, is the ultimate concoction for your winter woes with its diverse medicinal effects.
Curcumin, a polyphenol, is the main active component of turmeric responsible for its therapeutic effects including anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, anti-oxidant and immunomodulation properties following oral or topical administration.
If you have a jar of turmeric languishing in your spice cupboard, you can use that by making a golden paste mixed in milk, honey, water, soup or make a smoothie and turmeric tea for local application as well for ingestion. However, common turmeric fails to exert 100% of its therapeutic effects due to:
To outweigh the side effects of Steroids and poor bioavailability of turmeric, a novel formulation, SNEC30 (Self-nano emulsifying curcumin 30 mg) has been developed that is a superior anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic and immuno-modulatory agent without any adverse effects. SNEC30 is the latest generation of scientifically formulated bioactive co-developed by Arbro Pharmaceuticals Ltd, DSIR (Department for Scientific & Industrial Research, GOI) and Jamia Hamdard University.
SNEC30 uses Self Nano-Emulsifying Drug Delivery System (SNEDDS) which makes it the most effective agent to reduce pain and inflammation in arthritis. SNEC30 is patented through the prestigious United States Patent for drug delivery system.
SNEC30 – The All in One Solution
- As a superior anti-oxidant, SNEC30 inhibits free-radical-mediated peroxidation of membrane lipids & oxidative damage of DNA & protein which are believed to be associated with a variety of chronic pathological conditions such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- SNEC30 suppresses Osteoclastogenesis (development of osteoclasts) which helps to reduce resorption of calcium from bone.
- SNEC30 stimulates the process of Chondrogenesis (the process of cartilage development) which helps to strengthen the bone and joints.
- SNEC30’s immunomodulatory action strengthens the body’s immunity to fight against most microbial infections and thus reduces the risks of infective arthritis.
The US patented formulation of SNEC30 is based on SNEDDS that helps it to achieve Cmax (peak serum concentration of any drug) of active curcuminoids several times more than its closest rival. By forming a stable nanoemulsion in the stomach, SNEC30 bypasses the pre-systemic metabolism followed by absorption through the lipid absorption channel and peyers’ patches in intestines. It also escapes Liver First Pass and thus, directly reaches systemic circulation for fast action.
Benefits of SNEC30:
- SNEC30 For Skin Protection – SNEC30 is a superior free radical scavenger and anti-inflammatory agent that protects and heals skin. Therefore, it reduces skin irritation, rashes, bruises, swelling and tearing associated with long-term steroids application.
- SNEC30 For Clear Vision – Glaucoma causes damage to an optic nerve in eyes which can cause vision loss if not treated early. SNEC30 is an anti-oxidant that fights free radicals caused by oxidative stress, which benefits those with eye disorders like glaucoma and macular degeneration. SNEC30 also prevents the formation of cataracts that are induced by long-term use of Steroids.
- SNEC30 In neurological & cognitive disorders –. SNEC30 influences several biological mechanisms those associated with the monoaminergic activity, immune-inflammatory, hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis activity, and neuro-progression.
- SNEC30: A Perfect Immune Booster –SNEC30 is a potent immunomodulatory agent that modulates the activation of T cells, B cells, macrophages, neutrophils, natural killer cells and dendritic cells, the active participant of body’s natural immune system.
- Improve Sleep Pattern With SNEC30 – Steroids are harsh on your liver. SNEC30 helps the liver to detoxify against harmful chemicals and reduces oxidative stress thus, improves sleep pattern.
- SNEC30 Turns On Your Heart – SNEC30 prevents atherosclerosis by effectively lowering bad LDL cholesterol from building up in blood vessels and also reduces pro-inflammatory cytokines.
- Cut Those Extra Kilos With SNEC30 – SNEC30, as an anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant, does wonders on weight loss regime. SNEC30 helps you to cut fat without losing muscle. It also helps to control appetite by increasing the production of a hormone called adiponectin(responsible for the differentiation of fat cells).
- SNEC30 is An Excellent Anti-Inflammatory and Pain Reliever – SNEC30 reduces pain & inflammation by inhibiting the production of prostaglandins through suppression of Cyclooxygenase-1 (COX) and Lipo-oxygenase (LOX).
- SNEC30 action as anti-allergic– SNEC30 improves the symptoms of allergy by stabilizing mast cells thus work as antihistaminic by reducing its degeneration.
- SNEC30 helps Reverses Osteoporosis – SNEC30 strengthens and restores bones and joints by suppression of Osteoclastogenesis that helps to reduce resorption of calcium from bone and enhances Chondrogenesis, which improves bone health.
- Say “Goodbye” Gastric Ulcers With SNEC30 – SNEC30 is an all-in-one anti-ulcer supplement when it comes to ulcer and bleeding due to long-term use of steroids. SNEC30 heals stomach lining through pathways unrelated to acid control and also acts as a solid anti-microbial agent against H. Pylori(bacteria responsible for ulcers).
- SNEC30 Reduces The Side Effects Of Steroids – SNEC30 has no biohazards. Due to its unique US patented formulation, it is well absorbed in the body to exert its complete therapeutic effects. SNEC30 helps to reduce and heal the side effects that arise due to Steroids.
- SNEC30 Controls Diabetes Mellitus – SNEC30 preserves pancreatic beta cell and stimulates insulin secretion hence, increases uptake of glucose by cells through the cell wall. It also prevents diabetic complications by acting as the antioxidant.
- Dosage and Safety – SNEC30 is completely safe even at very high doses but the ideal dose should be customized according to individual body requirement. Trials generally report very few, if any, adverse effects of SNEC30 are observed at the very high dose.
All the information on this site is for the purpose of general education and in no way can substitute the consultation with an Ayurvedic doctor. It is highly recommended that you consult with your Ayurvedic doctor or health care provider to determine the individual requirements. Pregnant women, nursing mothers, and children should not take any supplements without consulting their doctor.
- Theodore R. Fields, MD, FACP; Attending Physician at Hospital for Special Surgery, Professor of Clinical Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College
- Institute of Natural Medicine & Green Chemistry, School of Chemical Engineering and Light Industry, Guandong University of Technology, 232 Wai Huan West Road, Guangzhou Higher Education Mega Center, Guangzhou 510006 China; Susan Lehman Cullman Laboratory for Cancer Research, Department of Chemical Biology, Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA; Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Guangdong General Hospital & Guangdong Academy of Medical Sciences, Guangzhou 510030, China
- Thierry Appelboom, Rheumatology Department, Erasme University Hospital, Medical School, University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium; Christian Mélot MsciBiost, Emergency Department, Erasme University Hospital, Medical School, University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium.
- Xu Y, Ku B, Tie L, Yao H, Jiang W, Ma X, Li X, Department of Pharmacology, School of Basic Medical Science, Peking University, 38 Xueyuan Road, Beijing, 100083, PR China