If you’ve never heard of curcumin, the chemical that gives ancient spice turmeric its yellow-orange color, then you are in for a great news. Curcumin is one natural compound that should be on your health list. Recent studies show that a formulation of Curcumin for Osteoarthritis can relieve pain and increase mobility – Curcumin for Osteoarthritis can also reduce a series of inflammatory markers.
What is Osteoarthritis?
Constant pain, inflammation and stiffness affecting joints of hands, wrist, neck, back, knee and hip can be greatly attributed to osteoarthritis (OA), which is a common degenerative condition. Osteoarthritis mainly affects the older generation caused by aging joints, injury and obesity. It can possibly affect any of the joints but typically affects movement and functionality of knees, lower back and neck, hips and small joints of fingers. To relieve pain and inflammation, one may be using non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) daily that comes with unwanted side effects but is unaware of the fact that a far safer and effective natural remedy already exists in their kitchen cupboard – Turmeric that contains Curcumin. Curcumin for osteoarthritis has significant analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-oxidant properties.
Turmeric (haldi) is one of the natural herbs that has been extensively explored benefiting osteoarthritis – the age old spice used in almost all Indian curries for color and flavor. Traditionally, turmeric has been used to reduce pain and inflammation of joints and muscles – its therapeutic effects are mainly due to the active component curcumin. Curcumin Supplement for osteoarthritis has made a noticeable presence being a must-be-there natural supplement to reduce pain and inflammation either by ingestion or local application.
The concept of osteoarthritis being caused by normal wear and tear of joints is an important one; however, the main cause lies behind a process called oxidative stress due to free radicals. Normal aging process and injuries result in damage to cartilages and tendons supporting the bones and joints, but peroxidation due to free radicals leads to cell death causing your joints to get weaken and susceptible for pain, inflammation and stiffness.
Curcumin for osteoarthritis can do wonders in osteoarthritis which you might not have thought of before. Curcumin for osteoarthritis can stimulate the process of cartilage development (Chondrogenesis) which helps to strengthen bones and joints.
Curcumin for Osteoarthritis – How It Works?
Curcumin for Osteoarthritis promises great hopes to relieve pain and inflammation which improves mobility and eases daily life. Curcumin for osteoarthritis acts as a great free radical scavenger. Free radicals have an important role in the pathogenesis of osteoarthritis, specifically in knee. Reactive oxygen species (ROS) produced by abnormal chondrocyte metabolism exceeds the physiological buffering capacity and results in oxidative stress. Curcumin for osteoarthritis abolishes ROS generation in cartilage cells.
Curcumin for osteoarthritis reduces inflammation and pain by acting upon some enzyme pathways. It is presumed that because of the anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative properties of curcumin, it plays an important role in relieving symptoms of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory conditions such as bursitis.
Facts about Cartilages and Osteoarthritis:
Normal healthy joints are supported and cushioned by a hard tissue called cartilage which covers the end of each bone. Cartilage provides a smooth, gliding surface to enable joint movement and also acts as a cushion between two bones. Pain and inflammation, the two typical symptoms of osteoarthritis, results from cartilage break-down, which can also give rise to swelling and issues with movement of joints. It is because of cartilage, which is firm yet slippery, that joints can move in a frictionless manner. In most of the cases, osteoarthritis worsens over time resulting in bones to break down and develop growths called spurs. As osteoarthritis progresses, cartilages wear away and bone starts to rub against each other leading to further joint damage, pain and stiffness.
Signs and Symptoms of Osteoarthritis:
Signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis usually progress slowly and can get worse over a period time. Typically, they include the following:
- Pain in joints with movement.
- Joints may feel tender on touch.
- Stiffness, more so upon waking up in the morning.
- Limited range of motion with decreased flexibility.
- Grating kind of feeling when moving the affected joint.
- Bone spurs i.e. the extra bits of bone that have chipped off and present as hard lumps.
Risk Factors Related To Osteoarthritis
- Old age- Osteoarthritis risk usually increases with age.
- Obesity – Increased weight puts extra stress on to the weight bearing joints and thus increases the risk for hip and knee joints.
- Injuries to the joints – Due to sports injury or being involved in an accident which has affected the joints, there can be an increased risk of osteoarthritis.
- Occupational risk – Repetitive stress on a particular joint due to certain job responsibilities can lead to development of osteoarthritis in that joint.
- Genetic predisposition – Sometimes osteoarthritis can be hereditary also.
- Birth defects – Sometimes birth defects such as malformation of joints can predispose an individual to arthritis.
Complications Occurring From Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis is known to worsen over a period of time and eventually joint stiffness and pain starts to affect the functional capacity of a person. When the joint pain is unbearable and affects weight bearing joints such as knee, it can limit one’s ability to move around and exercise which can cause further adverse effects on health. In such cases where joint pain becomes disabling, joint replacement surgeries need to be undertaken.
Diagnostic Tests Used To Diagnose Osteoarthritis:
To diagnose osteoarthritis, the physician collects information on personal and family medical history and also performs physical examination and some diagnostic tests.
- Physical Examination — affected joint typically exhibits tenderness, swelling, redness, and limited range of motion on examination by an expert.
- Past and present health history and symptoms
- X-ray — though cartilage itself cannot be seen on x-rays, but narrowing of joint space can be seen. If there are bone spurs, they can also be seen.
- MRI — MRI uses advanced technology with radio waves and magnetic field to reveal detailed images of joints including cartilage and may be ordered in complex cases.
- Joint fluid analysis — Fluid can be drawn from the affected joint with the help of needle. This fluid is then sent for examination to check for the presence of gout or infection.
Prevent Osteoarthritis by:
- Managing weight and maintaining ideal body mass index (BMI).
- Eating healthy balanced diet.
- Women should check for calcium levels and if advised take calcium supplements
- Regular low impact exercise to maintain joint health.
- High blood sugar levels can lead to inflammation and harm the cartilage. Strict control of blood sugar should be observed.
Curcumin for Osteoarthritis: Diverse Benefits
Turmeric component curcumin for osteoarthritis is believed to be safer natural alternative that can replace use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) posing extreme side effects on your health. The chemical present in turmeric, Curcumin for osteoarthritis can actually block inflammatory pathways and prevent formation of proteins which are thought to be responsible for pain and swelling in joints. Reduction in pain and inflammation improves joint mobility and functionality. Curcumin for osteoarthritis imparts effects to reduce tissue irritation which results in warmth, swelling, pain and redness in the affected area.
However, the golden spice turmeric contains only about 1-3% of curcumin and when ingested gets flushed out of the body by liver. Due to poor solubility and permeability, curcumin fails to get absorbed from our gut and whatever fraction gets absorbed by pre-mixing curcumin with other substances like piperine gets metabolized and inactivated by Liver First Pass metabolism. This fact attributes to the phenomenon of poor bioavailability of curcumin limiting therapeutic usage of curcumin for osteoarthritis.
Keeping in mind the disadvantages of curcumin in turmeric, SNEC 30 (Self Nano Emulsifying Curcumin 30mg), a latest generation of scientifically formulated bioactive has been co-developed by Arbro Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd, DRDO (Defense Research & Development Organization), and Jamia Hamdard University in collaboration with DST (Department of Science & Technology, GOI). There is US Patent for the technology used in SNEC 30.
SNEC 30 uses Self Nano-Emulsifying Drug Delivery System (SNEDDS) which makes it the most effective fast acting agent compared to NSAIDS.
Highlights of SNEC 30
- SNEDDS improves absorption of Curcumin increasing Bioavailability and fast action
Self Nano Emulsifying Drug Delivery System (SNEDDS) helps curcumin to reach blood in less time to exert its action much better than its’ closest rival. SNEC 30 forms a stable nano emulsion in stomach and bypasses the metabolism by liver thus increases blood content of curcumin. Curcumin in SNEC 30 directly reaches into systemic blood through lymphatic system providing the basis for highest concentration at a very low dose.
- SNEC 30 has “NO Side Effects”
SNEC 30 works in a synchronized fashion working on cellular membranes to organize them more orderly. This not only improves the resistance of cells against infection and malignancy as well as works on various receptors to control inflammation and pain without causing any adverse effects.
- SNEC 30 is a Superior Anti-Oxidan
SNEC 30, due to its unique US patented formulation, neutralizes free radicals which makes it the best anti-oxidant. Its immunomodulatory action strengthens body’s immunity to fight against most microbial infections.
- SNEC 30 is an Excellent Anti-Microbial Agent
Microbial infections in osteoarthritis are known as secondary osteoarthritis which can lead to fatal conditions if not treated timely and accurately. SNEC 30 exerts anti-microbial and disinfectant properties for a wide range of topical bacterial and fungal infections and thus lowers the risk of secondary osteoarthritis.
SNEC 30 – Nano-Emulsifying Curcumin for Osteoarthritis
- SNEC 30 decreases pain and stiffness and hence improves mobility
Various studies have proved that intake of SNEC 30 brought about an overall decrease in stiffness and pain along with increased functional capacity. Not only this, SNEC 30 brought about significant decrease in inflammation and thus reducing dependence on NSAIDs.
- SNEC 30 can be a better alternative compared to NSAIDs
Research suggests that SNEC 30 could be used as an alternative for NSAIDs which are typically prescribed for treatment of osteoarthritis. Curcumin present in SNEC 30 can block inflammatory pathways and prevents release of protein which causes pain and swelling. It has been found that patients who took SNEC 30 daily as part of treatment had significantly improved mobility and lesser pain compared to those who did not take SNEC 30. Highly potent Curcumin in SNEC 30 has the ability of reducing inflammation which results in heat, pain, redness and swelling of the joints and thus brings remarkable symptomatic relief.
- SNEC 30 reduces symptoms without side effects
Intake of NSAIDs on regular basis in order to manage osteoarthritis brings about greater chances of developing severe gastrointestinal problems. NSAIDs taken for prolonged periods can even result in cardiovascular problems, liver or kidney damage. A small percentage of all people who use NSAIDs regularly may need to be treated for various upper gastrointestinal problems like ulcers. This is why it is important to look for safer alternatives such as SNEC 30 which can relieve symptoms without causing side effects.
- SNEC 30 is super anti-oxidant
As a superior anti-oxidant, curcumin in SNEC 30 inhibits free-radical-mediated peroxidation of membrane lipids & oxidative damage of DNA & protein which are believed to be associated with a variety of chronic pathological conditions such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- SNEC 30 helps restore calcium in bones
SNEC 30 suppresses Osteoclastogenesis (development of osteoclasts) by suppressing RANKL signaling & Osteoclastogenesis in RAW 264.7 cells which helps to reduce resorption of calcium from bone.
- Curcumin in SNEC 30 stimulates the process of Chondrogenesis (process of cartilage development) which helps to strengthen the bone and joints.
- SNEC 30’s immunomodulatory action strengthens body’s immunity to fight against most microbial infections and thus reduces the risks of infection in osteoarthritis.
Dosage and Safety: SNEC 30 is completely safe even at very high doses but ideal dose should be customized according to individual body requirement. Trials generally report very few, if any, adverse effects of SNEC 30 even at very high dose. There have been no reports of toxicity following even large amount of turmeric ingestion.
All the information on this site is for the purpose of general education and in no way can substitute the consultation with an Ayurvedic doctor. It is highly recommended that you consult with your Ayurvedic doctor or health care provider to determine the individual requirements. Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not take any supplements without consulting their doctor.