The dreaded name cancer refers to a collection of related diseases where body’s cells begin to divide abnormally without stopping and hence forming a tumor which starts invading the surrounding tissues. In normal cases, cells in the body are supposed to grow and divide to form new cells in order to replace old/damaged cells. In the case of cancer, this process gets disrupted and new cells begin forming even when they are not required and old cells become abnormal but do not die. These extra cells form growths and referred to as tumors.
Most of the cancers form tumors which are solid growths of tissue and can invade nearby tissues.
Cancerous tumors are mostly malignant which means they can spread into or invade surrounding tissues. As these tumors grow, they can break off and travel to other areas in the body through blood so as to form new tumors or metastases.
Some tumors can be benign which means they do not invade nearby tissues and are usually not life-threatening. In some cases, a benign tumor can impinge upon nerves or create other issues and thus need to be removed.
Cancer cells may use the immune system to thrive or sometimes even hide from immune system so as to avoid getting destroyed through the normal response of the body.
Turmeric And Cancer
Turmeric has traditionally been known to possess countless benefits due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It has been used traditionally in India and China for treating a variety of diseases. Recent research has shown incredible promise that turmeric can be useful in the prevention and treatment of cancer. It has even been linked that Indians have the lower rate of cancer compared to west due to use of turmeric in the diet.
Several studies have proved that Curcumin present in turmeric can help prevent a myriad of cancers including breast cancer, liver cancer, colorectal cancer due to its proven anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Since Curcumin in turmeric has the ability to modulate the immune system, it can curb the development of cancer by interfering with signals at the cellular level.
Curcumin – The Main Active Compound In Turmeric
Turmeric contains Curcumin which is the Phyto-derivative responsible for healing properties. Research has already proven that the efficacy of turmeric is due to its natural component Curcumin and extracted Curcumin is quite powerful if one wishes to utilize the best benefits of turmeric. It is quite potent even more than prescription medicines and that too without any adverse side effects.
Curcumin in turmeric has very low bioavailability which means a low percentage of what is consumed is actually absorbed.
Typically a turmeric root contains about 3-5% of Curcumin and thus taking non-standardized powdered turmeric root would entail intake of a very large amount in order to derive any benefit. At the same time, Curcumin from turmeric is not easily absorbed by the gastrointestinal tract. Turmeric in itself has conventionally required a lot of additional compounds and tedious methods (such as making a golden paste and other such recipes) to improve its absorption and still it suffers the issue of low absorption due to being expelled out of the body without being absorbed.
Curcumin supplements are usually designed to help avail benefits and better absorption.
Various lab studies have shown that Curcumin can effectively curb cancer cells due to its known anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. In fact, it has been found that it can impede resources for cancerous cells making them starve and die. It induces a tumor suppressor gene and also helps prevent regrowth of cancerous cells.
Benefits of Curcumin in Cancer Treatment:
- Curcumin can prevent cancer – A phase I clinical trial looked at giving Curcumin to 25 patients with precancerous changes in different organs. This study seemed to show that Curcumin could stop the precancerous changes becoming cancer. Research has also shown that there are low rates of certain types of cancer in countries where people eat Curcumin at levels of about 100 to 200 mg a day over long periods of time.
- Curcumin can treat cancer – A number of laboratory studies on cancer cells have shown that Curcumin does have anticancer effects. It seems to be able to kill cancer cells and prevent more from growing. It has the best effects on breast cancer, bowel cancer, stomach cancer, and skin cancer cells. A 2007 American study that combined Curcumin with chemotherapy to treat bowel cancer cells in a laboratory showed that the combined treatment killed more cancer cells than the chemotherapy alone. 
- Curcumin can differentiate between cancer cells and normal cells – Based on a 2011 study conducted by the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, researchers found that the Curcumin extract effectively differentiates between cancer cells and normal cells while activating cancer cell death (apoptosis). Investigators concluded, “Curcumin exerts its biological influence through epigenetic modulation, a process that continues downstream staying one step ahead of adverse genetic influences.” One study was conducted to investigate how much Curcumin colorectal patients could safely take. In the trial, participants took 3.6 grams, considered to be a high dose of Curcumin. Results revealed that high doses of Curcumin didn’t cause ill effects among colorectal patients.
There are a variety of Curcumin supplements available in the market but SNEC30 is the patented formula which has most easily absorbable form of Curcumin with the highest degree of bioavailability.
- SNEC30 gets easily absorbed due to high bioavailability – SNEC30 is the patented formula which is the most easily absorbable form of Curcumin with the highest degree of bioavailability. Normally, curcumin in turmeric has very low bioavailability which means a low percentage of what is consumed is actually absorbed.
- SNEC30 forms a nano-emulsion for better Curcumin assimilation – Curcumin in SNEC30 forms a nano-emulsion in the stomach which stays stable in the presence of gastric juices and acid. It then bypasses the pre-systemic metabolism in order to get absorbed through the lipid absorption channel and Peyers’ patches in the intestines which is the pathway for drug and vaccine delivery. It also escapes Liver First Pass (the phenomenon whereby the concentration of the drug is greatly reduced before it actually reaches the systemic circulation). SNEC30 reaches directly into the lymphatic system providing the basis for high Cmax (maximum serum concentration that a drug can achieve) at very low doses.
- SNEC30 works in harmony with body systems so it does not cause imbalance – Curcumin in SNEC30 works in a synchronized fashion in the body working on cellular membranes to organize them more orderly. This not only improves the resistance of cells against infection and malignancy as well as works on various receptors to control inflammation and pain without causing any adverse effects.
Dosage And Safety
SNEC30 is completely safe even at very high dosages also but ideally, the dosage should be customized according to individual body requirement. Trials generally report very few, if any, adverse effects of SNEC30 even at very high dosages. There have been no reports of toxicity following an even large amount of turmeric ingestion.
- All the information on this site is for general educational purpose and in no way can substitute the consultation with an ayurvedic doctor. It is highly recommended that you consult your Ayurvedic doctor or health care professional to determine your individual requirements. Pregnant women, nursing mothers, and children should not take any supplements without consulting their doctor.