Being Overweight versus Obese
Being overweight means having excessive weight; this weight can be from muscles, fat, or due to water retention. Obesity can be best described as a condition where a person has acquired so much body fat that it starts having a negative impact on their overall health. If someone’s body weight is 20 percent higher than it ideally should be, they are considered obese.
Obesity results from eating more calories than the body can use and happens gradually over a period of time. There are a lot of factors that can contribute to obesity and include over-eating, eating fatty foods, genetic predisposition, and being physically inactive.
Along with it, obesity brings a lot of ill effects on health such as increased risk of diabetes, arthritis and even cancer.
The connection between Turmeric And Obesity
Obesity is known to create ongoing low-grade inflammation in the body which leads to further chronic diseases inclusive of diabetes and heart disease. Turmeric has the unique ability to suppress this inflammation due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant mechanism which can alter the signals at the cellular level. Not only it prevents insulin resistance mechanism and other metabolic conditions related to obesity such as high cholesterol levels, but it also helps protect from heart diseases and stroke.
Experimental shreds of evidence have shown that turmeric promotes weight loss and also reduces the incidences of diseases related to obesity.
Curcumin – The Main Active Compound In Turmeric
Turmeric contains Curcumin which is the Phyto-derivative responsible for healing properties of turmeric. Research has already proven that the efficacy of turmeric is due to its natural component Curcumin and extracted Curcumin is quite powerful if one wishes to utilize the best benefits of turmeric. It is quite potent even more than prescription medicines and that too without any adverse side effects.
Curcumin in turmeric has very low bioavailability which means a low percentage of what is consumed is actually absorbed.
Typically a turmeric root contains about 3-5% of Curcumin and thus taking non-standardized powdered turmeric root would entail intake of a very large amount in order to derive any benefit. At the same time, Curcumin from turmeric is not easily absorbed by the gastrointestinal tract. Turmeric in itself has conventionally required a lot of additional compounds and tedious methods (such as making a golden paste and other such recipes) to improve its absorption and still it suffers the issue of low absorption due to being expelled out of the body without being absorbed.
Curcumin supplements are usually designed to help avail benefits and better absorption.
Benefits of Curcumin in weight management are detailed below:
- Curcumin reduces inflammation – Obesity is known to be a pro-inflammatory condition and studies have been done that concluded that Curcumin directly interacts with cells to reduce inflammation and during this process, it helps in a reversal of insulin resistance, hyperglycemia and other symptoms that often accompany obesity.
- Curcumin helps with liver detoxification – Liver plays an important role in fat metabolism which in turn is very important in weight loss. Turmeric helps detox the liver and reverse cellular damage or scarring of the liver. Better functioning of the liver helps get rid of excessive fats.
- Curcumin promotes thermogenesis – In the process referred to as thermogenesis, fat gets burnt by the central nervous system in order to maintain body temperature. Curcumin helps increase thermogenesis rate which then leads greater amount of fat getting burnt and thus encouraging weight loss.
- Curcumin inhibits the growth of fat tissue – In our bodies, adipose tissues are responsible for the storage of fat cells and these adipose tissues get nutrients and oxygen through a process called angiogenesis. Curcumin has anti-angiogenic properties and thus helps inhibit fat tissue growth, and thus promoting weight loss.
There are a variety of Curcumin supplements available in the market but SNEC30 is the patented formula which has most easily absorbable form of Curcumin with the highest degree of bioavailability.
- SNEC30 gets easily absorbed due to high bioavailability – SNEC30 is the patented formula which has most easily absorbable form of Curcumin with the highest degree of bioavailability. Curcumin in turmeric has very low bioavailability which means a low percentage of what is consumed is actually absorbed.
- SNEC30 forms a nano-emulsion for better Curcumin assimilation – Curcumin in SNEC30 forms a nano-emulsion in the stomach which stays stable in the presence of gastric juices and acid. It then bypasses the pre-systemic metabolism in order to get absorbed through the lipid absorption channel and Peyers’ patches in the intestines which is the pathway for drug and vaccine delivery. It also escapes Liver First Pass (the phenomenon whereby the concentration of a drug is greatly reduced before it actually reaches the systemic circulation). SNEC30 reaches directly into the lymphatic system providing the basis for high Cmax (maximum serum concentration that a drug can achieve) at very low doses.
- SNEC30 works in harmony with body systems so it does not cause imbalance – Curcumin in SNEC30 works in a synchronized fashion in the body working on cellular membranes to organize them more orderly. This not only improves the resistance of cells against infection and malignancy as well as works on various receptors to control inflammation and pain without causing any adverse effects.
Comparison of SNEC30 with other brands
|Feature||SNEC30||Turmeric Capsules||Curcumin Capsules||Curcumin with piperine||Curcumin micelles||Liquid Curcumin||Soy Curcumin|
|Curcumin content||30 mg||5 – 10 mg||500 mg||500 mg||14 mg||28 mg||17 mg|
|Proprietary SNEC Technology||US 8835509||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Purity of extract||95%||1-3%||95%||95%||Not disclosed||95%||95%|
|Added piperine||No||No||No||Yes can cause gastric irritation and interfere with metabolism of other medicines||No||No||No|
|Added Zingiber Officianale||No||No||No||Yes can cause gastric irritation and interfere with metabolism of other medicines||No||No||No|
|Curcumin Droplet size in Nanosystem||42 nm||Not in Nano size||Not in Nano size||Not in Nano size||Not in Nano size||Not in Nano size||Not in Nano size|
|Curcumin loading in Nanosystem delivery||Highest||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Nanosystem stability||Very stable in liquid filled capsule technology||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Curcumin Protection during absorption from intestinal enzymes||Yes||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Curcumin Protection during absorption from liver metabolism||Yes||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Rapid onset into blood||Yes||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Curcumin is in dissolved form for quick release||Yes||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Effect of stomach, intestinal enzymes Curcumin release from product||No effect of food and complete release with or without food||Release varies with or without food||Release varies with or without food||Release varies with or without food||Release varies with or without food||Release varies with or without food||Release varies with or without food|
|Food effect in curcumin Absorption||No||Yes||Yes||N.A.||Yes||Yes||yes|
|Probable Liver toxicity||No||No||yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|% of curcumin released in 60 min||100 %||3 %||2.5%||11%||94.67%||86%||11.41%|
|Technology patent||US Patent||NA||NA||NA||NA||NA||NA|
|Route of absorption||Direct to blood via the Lymphatic pathway through payer’s patches in the small intestine||Normal food channel||Normal food channel||Normal food channel||Normal food channel||Normal food channel||Normal food channel|
|Dose||One capsule twice daily||2 to 4 caps twice or thrice||2 caps twice or thrice||2 caps twice or thrice||2 caps twice or thrice||2 caps twice or thrice||2 caps twice or thrice|
|Disintegration time||6 Min||23 min||20 min||17 min||14 min||NA||20 min|
Dosage And Safety
SNEC30 is completely safe even at very high dosages also but ideally, dosage should be customized according to individual body requirement. Trials generally report very few, if any, adverse effects of SNEC30 even at very high dosages. There have been no reports of toxicity following an even large amount of turmeric ingestion.
- All the information on this site is for general educational purpose and in no way can substitute the consultation with an ayurvedic doctor. It is highly recommended that you consult your ayurvedic doctor or health care professional to determine your individual requirements. Pregnant women, nursing mothers, and children should not take any supplements without consulting their doctor.