Diabetes multi folds your risk of developing many serious health conditions commonly known as Diabetic complications. The good news? Using turmeric for Diabetic complications can do wonders to treat those complications. With recommended lifestyle changes and by using turmeric for diabetic complications, you can effectively prevent or delay the onset of such unwanted complications.
Long-term complications of diabetes develop gradually, over the period. The longer one has diabetes and the less controlled sugar level – the higher the risk of diabetic complications. Turmeric, with its natural diverse effects on our body, has gained its place in controlling and lowering sugar levels in blood. Turmeric for diabetic complications acts in such a way that it protects your vital organs from damage due to diabetes.
Use of turmeric for Diabetic complications treatment has become promising as turmeric is one of the sought after herbs on the planet. Being a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, various studies have demonstrated the capability of turmeric for diabetic complications in preventing and treating symptoms. Studies show that turmeric for diabetic complications is more potent than metformin, a well-known anti-diabetic drug.
It is increasingly apparent that awareness and cure of diabetes is most important along with prevention of its major complications, affecting both small and large blood vessels. The complications occur in the majority of individuals for both type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Kidney disease, blindness and amputations are among the most prevalent complications of DM, with current therapies only slowing disease progression.
Maintaining blood glucose levels, blood pressure, and cholesterol at or close to normal can help delay or prevent diabetes complications. Therefore people with diabetes need regular monitoring.
Clinical studies confirm that turmeric for diabetic complications holds strong ground to be a part of any diabetic’s daily regimen. In addition to being able to lower blood sugar, control bad cholesterol and capacity to dilate blood vessels, a multitude of research confirms that turmeric for diabetic complications can also prove to protect you from debilitating complications.
Suffering from diabetes can pose serious health risks and it is known to cause target organ damage. With proper management of diabetes by using turmeric for diabetic complications and strict control of blood sugar, patients can actually delay or even prevent diabetic complications altogether.
Known Complications Associated With Diabetes Mellitus:
Long-term complications of diabetes develop with time. The longer one has diabetes and the less controlled blood sugar is at higher the risk of developing complications. If not treated timely, diabetic complications can be disabling or even life-threatening. Possible complications include:
Skin Complications— Diabetics are known to be susceptible to a variety of skin problems including bacterial infections, fungal infections, and itching. There are certain skin problems which affect diabetics only and include the following:
- Digital sclerosis– With high blood sugar levels, skin at the back of hands and sometimes of the toes and forehead, becomes thick, tight and waxy. In fact, joints also can become stiff and difficult to move.
- Diabetic dermopathy – it presents as light brown, scaly patches which may be oval or circular. These patches do not hurt or itch and are harmless.
- Acanthosis nigricans – it is characterized by areas of dark tan or brown velvety discoloration of skin.
- Necrobiosis lipoidica diabeticorum or NLD – NLD usually erupts as dull, red, raised area which later on looks like a shiny scar with a violet border. The blood vessels under the skin become visible. NLD can become itchy and painful and spots may crack open.
- Diabetic blisters – diabetic sores which look like burn blisters can occur in people with diabetic neuropathy.
- Eruptive Xanthomatosis – People with uncontrolled diabetes can have yellow enlargements in the skin. This condition is associated with high blood cholesterol level along with diabetes.
Cardiovascular complications — Diabetes significantly increases the risk to develop a variety of cardiovascular complications such as angina, coronary artery disease, heart attack, stroke and narrowing of arteries (atherosclerosis). Not only this diabetes, raises the risk of stroke also. It is a known fact that two out of three diabetics die from heart disease or stroke.
Neuropathic complications — almost 50% diabetics have some form of nerve damage and the only way to prevent or delay damage is tight control of blood sugar level. Neuropathy can be broadly divided into following categories:
- Peripheral neuropathy – it can cause tingling and numbness in hands and feet. The patient may complain of pain and burning sensation in the feet.
- Autonomic neuropathy – when autonomic nerves get affected with diabetes, the functioning of bladder, intestinal tract and genitals can get affected leading to issues with urination, digestion, and erectile dysfunction (in men).
- Additional types of neuropathy – neuropathic arthropathy resulting joint problems, nerve compression neuropathy like carpal tunnel syndrome, thoracic/lumbar neuropathy affecting the torso.
Kidney Damage or nephropathy — fortunately, not everyone with diabetes gets kidney related complications; it is in fact dependent on family history, blood sugar control, and blood pressure. Higher levels of blood sugar force kidneys to filter a lot of blood which can be harsh on the filters of kidneys. This can damage the filtration system of kidneys and can even lead to kidney failure which may result in requirement of dialysis or transplant.
Eye related complications or retinopathy — Diabetes can injure the blood vessels of the retina leading to diabetic retinopathy which can even result in blindness. Following ocular complications are known to be associated with diabetes mellitus:
- Glaucoma – the longer someone has diabetes, the more they are at risk of developing glaucoma.
- Cataracts – it is a known fact that diabetics are 60% more likely to get cataracts. In fact, they are at a risk of developing cataracts at a younger age and the progression can be faster.
- Diabetic retinopathy – Retinopathy can be of two types, proliferative and non-proliferative where blood vessels of eyes sustain damage and this condition can cause serious issues with vision including retinal detachment and even blindness.
Feet related complications— If there is damage to nerves in the feet or poor blood circulation in feet, it results in various complications. If left untreated, cuts and blisters can develop into serious infections because of slow healing in diabetics. Poor blood circulation can lead to following feet problems in diabetics:
- Neuropathy – damage to the nerve can alter the sensations and the patient cannot differentiate between hot and cold. Also, loss of sensation results in not feeling any pain even with injury and the patient would not treat it; as a result minor infections could become major.
- Dryness of skin – the skin may become dry and start to crack and peel because of nervous damage.
- Calluses – because of high pressure area under the feet, calluses develop and if left untreated can become infected.
- Poor blood circulation and ulcers – due to poor blood circulation, the feet are unable to fight infection and take longer to heal. Ulcers can easily form in this setting even with slightest pressure and may not heal easily with high blood sugar levels.
Hearing related complications— Diabetes can often lead to hearing impairment in patients. Hearing loss is twice as common in people with diabetes compared to those who don’t have it. High level of blood sugar supposedly causes damage to the blood vessels in inner ear leading to hearing loss.
Increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease — Diabetes appears to increase the risk of Alzheimer’s disease in patients with poor blood sugar control. The disease characterized by confusion and memory loss is strongly connected with diabetes mellitus type 2.
Gestational diabetes complications — Diabetes in pregnant women can pose serious risk to unborn baby including increased possibility of preeclampsia, preterm birth, and respiratory distress syndrome. If blood sugar is not managed strictly, it can cause extra sugar in bloodstream triggering baby’s pancreas to make more insulin which in turn causes baby to grow very big, requiring C‑section.
Hyperosmolar Hyperglycemic Non-ketotic Syndrome — HHNS, is a condition which is seen usually in elderly patients. It can occur in patients with type 1 or type 2 diabetes that has been uncontrolled. It is mostly brought on by some other infection.
With HHNS blood sugar levels increase and thus the body tries to eliminate extra sugar by passing it in urine. The patient passes a lot of urine initially and then later on, urine becomes very dark. The patient may feel very thirsty but in the event of not feeling thirsty also, it is recommended to drink enough liquids so as to not get dehydrated.
If HHNS is not controlled, then the patient can become severely dehydrated and can even cause seizures and coma.
Turmeric for Diabetic Complications
Traditionally, turmeric has been used in India as a culinary spice, derived from the rhizomes (underground stems) of the plant Curcuma longa, a member of the ginger family, and is known for its diverse therapeutic effects. Various studies have demonstrated the capability of turmeric for diabetic complications to prevent and treat associated disturbances in body balance. Turmeric for diabetic complications can be your one stop solution as being a powerful natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, something that works without any adverse effects on your system.
Curcumin, a polyphenol, is the main active component of turmeric responsible for the therapeutic effects of turmeric for diabetic complications to name a few are anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, anti-oxidant and immunomodulation properties following oral or topical administration.
Turmeric is used in various forms such as golden paste, powder mixed in milk, honey or water for local application as well for ingestion. But, turmeric fails to exert 100% of its therapeutic effect due to:
- Poor bioavailability
- Less permeability and extensive systemic metabolism
- Need to be combined with additional compounds to improve absorption
- Turmeric root contains only about 1-3% of Curcumin
- Non-standardized powdered turmeric root entails intake of large dose in order to derive any benefit
However, the golden spice turmeric contains only about 1-3% of curcumin and when ingested gets flushed out of the body by liver. Due to poor solubility and permeability, curcumin fails to get absorbed from our gut and whatever fraction gets absorbed by pre-mixing curcumin with other substances like piperine gets metabolized and inactivated by Liver First Pass metabolism. This fact attributes to the phenomenon of poor bioavailability of curcumin limiting therapeutic usage of Turmeric for Diabetic Complications.
Keeping in mind the disadvantages of curcumin, SNEC 30 (Self Nano Emulsifying Curcumin 30mg), a latest generation of scientifically formulated bioactive has been co-developed by Arbro Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd, DRDO (Defense Research & Development Organization), and Jamia Hamdard University in collaboration with DST (Department of Science & Technology, GOI). There is US Patent for the technology used in SNEC 30.
Why SNEC 30?
- SNEC 30 Uses SNEDDS for better Absorption, Highest Degree Of Bioavailability With Fast Action Mode
The US patented formulation of SNEC 30 is based on Self Nano Emulsifying Drug Delivery System (SNEDDS) that helps it to achieve Cmax (peak serum concentration of any drug) of active curcuminoids several times more than its’ closest rival. SNEC 30 forms a stable nano emulsion in stomach and bypasses the pre-systemic metabolism followed by absorption through the lipid absorption channel and the payers’ patches in the intestines. It also escapes Liver First Pass and directly reaches into systemic blood through lymphatic system providing the basis for high Cmax at a very low dose.
- SNEC 30 has “NO Side Effects”
SNEC 30 works in a synchronized fashion working on cellular membranes to organize them more orderly. This not only improves the resistance of cells against infection and malignancy as well as works on various receptors to control inflammation and pain without causing any adverse effects.
- SNEC 30 is a Superior Anti-Oxidant
SNEC 30, due to its unique US patented formulation, neutralizes free radicals which makes it the best anti-oxidant. Its immunomodulatory action strengthens body’s immunity to fight against most microbial infections. SNEC 30 also exerts antimicrobial and disinfectant properties for a wide range of topical bacterial and fungal infections.
SNEC 30 – The Miracle Weapon against Diabetic Complications
- SNEC 30 regulates insulin levels: Insulin production in the human body is regulated by pancreas. SNEC 30 has been proven in various studies to keep the pancreas healthy. It has highly beneficial glucose lowering properties which are effective in maintaining pancreatic function while regulating and balancing insulin levels and thus preventing insulin resistance in the body. SNEC 30 is very effective in lowering blood sugar and triglyceride levels, and thus helps in diabetes treatment effectively and even prevent its onset.
- SNEC 30 strengthens body’s immune system: It is a well-known fact that diabetics are prone to getting other health related complications like heart disease, kidney failure, poor liver function, etc. because of lowered immunity. Diabetes weakens immune system. SNEC 30 has remarkably advantageous antioxidant, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-glycemic properties of Curcumin which not only strengthens the immune system but also is effective in fighting various infections.
- SNEC 30 helps in weight reduction:Diabetics have an increased risk of obesity due to buildup of abdominal fat and this condition hampers insulin production all the more difficult. SNEC 30 helps control triglycerides and cholesterol levels in the body, improves digestion, and aids in prevention of fat accumulation. SNEC 30 helps in weight management which is extremely important to manage diabetes or prevent its onset.
- SNEC 30 delays development of diabetes in pre-diabetic individuals and also improves functioning of beta cells – In various studies, SNEC 30 has been proved to delay development of type 2 diabetes mellitus, by improving beta-cell functions, preventing beta-cell death, and also reducing insulin resistance. Studies have determined effectiveness of Curcumin present in SNEC 30 as an intervention agent which helps in prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus development. It has been revealed during research that SNEC 30 can effectively reduce the number of pre-diabetic individuals who progress towards development of diabetes mellitus along with overall improved functioning of beta -cells.
- SNEC 30 lowers blood glucose levels – SNEC 30 has been proven to have blood glucose lowering effects as well as insulin sensitizing due to presence of highly potent and bioavailable Curcumin. SNEC 30 slows the breakdown of carbohydrates into simpler sugars, which pushes down blood glucose levels. SNEC 30 also decreases oxidative stress of pancreatic beta cells and enhances the activation of PPAR-y.
Dosage and Safety:
SNEC 30 is completely safe even at very high doses but ideal dose should be customized according to individual body requirement. Trials generally report very few, if any, adverse effects of SNEC 30 even at very high dose. There have been no reports of toxicity following even large amount of turmeric ingestion.
All the information on this site is for the purpose of general education and in no way can substitute the consultation with an Ayurvedic doctor. It is highly recommended that you consult with your Ayurvedic doctor or health care provider to determine the individual requirements. Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not take any supplements without consulting their doctor.