If you suffer from pain and stiffness in your joints or have trouble moving around, then you might have arthritis. Arthritis causes pain and swelling in almost all types of joints.
What Is Arthritis?
It is an inflammation of joints resulting in pain, swelling, stiffness and decreased the range of motion (ROM). Arthritis is very common but is not well understood yet. Severe arthritis can result in chronic pain, inability to perform daily activities and difficulty in walking or climbing stairs. It can cause permanent joint changes.
Surprising Facts About Arthritis –
- There are more than 100 types of arthritis
- Affects all age groups, but women are more affected than men
- The second only to heart disease as a cause of work disability
- Affects your joints at multiple points such as hands, hips, knees, feet, and ankles
- A gout is a form of arthritis characterized by repeated flare-ups of intensely painful swelling in joints
- Rheumatoid arthritis is inherited
- Depression and rheumatoid arthritis travel side-by-side
- Arthritis due to faulty immune system triggers risk of heart attack
What Causes The Inflammation?
Normal wear and tear of cartilage, a firm but flexible connective tissue that supports your joints, results in inflammation and pain around the joints. Cartilage protects your joints by absorbing the pressure and shock created when you move and put stress on.
Other causes include:
- Infection – Leads to arthritis also known as septic arthritis
- Inheritance – As it happens in osteoarthritis
- Immune system dysfunction – Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and SLE progress due to immune dysfunction
- Injury – Injury to bone and cartilage leads to degenerative arthritis
- Other risk factors include family history, age, sex, previous joint injury and obesity
Top 3 types of Arthritis: To make things interesting, there are 100 different types of arthritis, which may be classified into non-inflammatory and inflammatory arthritis. Generally, you may encounter 3 common types:
|Osteoarthritis (OA)–Normal wear and tear caused by injury, aging joints and obesity.|
· Joints are affected in hands, wrists, neck, back, knees, and Hips.
· Pain, inflammation and stiffness in joints make movement low.
Rheumatoid Arthritis(RA) – Most common type of arthritis triggered by a faulty immune system.
· Affects wrists and small joints of the hands, including knuckles and the middle joints of fingers.
· Can also affect your skin, eyes, lungs, heart, blood or nerves
|Cervical Arthritis (Spondylosis)-|
Persistent pain in neck accompany with swelling may disable one to work.
· Causes pain and stiffness in the neck, pain may radiate to shoulders and arms.
· Difficulty in turning and bending of the neck can interfere driving also.
Do you Cut Down Pain And Inflammation With NSAIDS?
NSAIDS or Non-steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs are widely used to reduce arthritic pain and inflammation. NSAIDs work by blocking hormone-like substances called prostaglandins, which are involved in pain and inflammation, by inhibiting two enzymes, cyclooxygenase-1 (COX-1) and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2). NSAIDS do not slow down the disease process; most people with arthritis have to take other medications to help prevent further joint damage.
Harmful Impacts of NSAIDS on Your Health
- Stomach pain or heartburn – the most common side effect of NSAIDs
- Indigestion – including stomach pain and vomiting
- Stomach ulcers – long-term use of NSAIDs may lead to painful ulceration
- Increased bleeding tendency – NSAID may increase the risk of serious blood clots, heart attacks and stroke, which can increase with higher doses and long-term use
- Elevates blood pressure
- Headaches, dizziness, lightheadedness or a decrease in alertness
- Allergic reactions – rashes, wheezing and throat swelling may occur
- Ringing in the ears may result from certain NSAIDS
- Liver and kidney problems are major side effects of NSAIDs
- NSAIDs interfere with other drugs such as aspirin or warfarin, medicines for autoimmune conditions, diuretics, medicine to treat the affective disorder and severe depression and some selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI)
Traditionally, turmeric has been used in India as a culinary spice, derived from the rhizomes (underground stems) of the plant Curcuma longa, a member of the ginger family, and is known for its diverse therapeutic effects.
According to the University of Michigan Health System, turmeric holds the efficacy to fight against a variety of diseases and conditions; especially in combating inflammation of the soft tissue and pain among individuals with arthritis.
Curcumin, a polyphenol, is the main active component of turmeric responsible for its therapeutic effects including anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, anti-oxidant and immunomodulation properties following oral or topical administration.
Turmeric is used in various forms such as golden paste, powder mixed in milk, honey or water for local application as well for ingestion. But, turmeric fails to exert 100% of its therapeutic effect due to:
- Poor bioavailability
- Less permeability and extensive systemic metabolism
- Need to be combined with additional compounds to improve absorption
Keeping in mind the disadvantages of NSAIDS and common turmeric, a novel formulation, SNEC30 (Self-nano emulsifying curcumin 30 mg) has been developed that has anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic and immuno-modulatory properties without posing any adverse effects. SNEC30 is the latest generation of scientifically formulated bioactive co-developed by Arbro Pharmaceuticals Ltd, DSIR (Department for Scientific & Industrial Research, GOI) and Jamia Hamdard University.
SNEC30 uses Self Nano-Emulsifying Drug Delivery System (SNEDDS) which makes it the most effective agent to reduce pain and inflammation in arthritis. SNEC30 is patented through the prestigious United States Patent for drug delivery system.
SNEC30 – The Golden Spice Of Life
- The US patented formulation of SNEC30 is based on SNEDDS that helps it to achieve Cmax (peak serum concentration of any drug) of active curcuminoids several times more than its closest rival. By forming a stable nanoemulsion in the stomach, SNEC30 bypasses the pre-systemic metabolism followed by absorption through the lipid absorption channel, payers’ patches in intestines and also Liver First Pass and thus, directly reaches systemic circulation for fast action.
Benefits of SNEC30 In Arthritis
- SNEC30 is An Excellent Anti-Inflammatory and Analgesic – an anti-inflammatory, SNEC30 helps to reduce pain & inflammation by acting on Cyclooxygenase (COX) and Lipoxygenase (LOX) pathway. It suppresses pain by inhibiting the production of prostaglandins through suppression of Cyclooxygenase-1 (COX1) and Cyclooxygenase-2 (COX2
- SNEC30 Combats Infection In Arthritis – Septic arthritis results from fungal infections like Candida as well as bacterial infection by MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus). According to studies, some anti-arthritic drugs can increase the risk of infections. SNEC30 due to its wide anti-microbial activity inhibits the growth of micro-organisms and also has a synergistic action with antibiotics and potentiates their activity.
- SNEC30 Prevents Progression Of Arthritis – SNEC30 due to its properties of suppression of Osteoclastogenesis and Chondrogenesis protects, strengthens and restores bones and joints which improves range of motion (ROM) and thus level of activity. Moreover,
It reduces free radicals which are responsible for stiffness and tenderness of muscles due to increased oxidative stress.
- SNEC30 Relieves Symptoms of Gout – Gout is a type of arthritis that occurs due to the accumulation of excess uric acid in joints causing the formation of uric acid crystals that leads to inflammation and pain. SNEC30 reduces the activity of Xanthine Oxidase hence controls the production of uric acid.
- SNEC30 is Effective in Autoimmune Disorders – Certain types of arthritis occur as a result of abnormal immune system reaction, called autoimmune conditions, wherein the immune system attacks the body’s own tissues. SNEC30 down-regulates the expression of various proinflammatory cytokines including TNF, IL-1, IL-2, IL-6, IL-8, IL-12, and chemokines, most likely through inactivation of the transcription factor NF-kB.
- SNEC30 Protects Skin In Psoriatic Arthritis – About 30-40% people with psoriasis develop an inflammatory condition called psoriatic arthritis characterized by excessive skin cell death. SNEC30 is a superior free radical scavenger and possesses anti-inflammatory properties that protect as well as heals the skin.
- SNEC30 has “NO Side Effects” – It works in a synchronized fashion on cellular membranes which not only improves the resistance of cells against infection and malignancy as well as works on various receptors to control inflammation and pain without causing any adverse effects.
- SNEC30 Reduces The Side Effects Of NSAIDS – SNEC30 has no biohazards. Due to its unique US patented formulation, it is well absorbed in the body to exert its complete therapeutic effects. SNEC30 helps to reduce and heal the side effects that arise due to NSAIDS.
- SNEC30 Fights Depression Associated With Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) – Studies reveal that people with RA are about twice as likely to be depressed as compared to people without this inflammatory autoimmune disease. SNEC30 influences several biological mechanisms associated with major depression, namely those associated with the monoaminergic activity, immune-inflammatory and oxidative and nitrosative stress pathways, hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis activity and neuro-progression.
Dosage and Safety – SNEC30 is completely safe even at very high doses but the ideal dose should be customized according to individual body requirement. Trials generally report very few, if any, adverse effects of SNEC30 even at the very high dose. There have been no reports of toxicity following an even large amount of turmeric ingestion.
|SNEC30 will keep you fit and moving forward|
All the information on this site is for the purpose of general education and in no way can substitute the consultation with an Ayurvedic doctor. It is highly recommended that you consult with your Ayurvedic doctor or health care provider to determine the individual requirements. Pregnant women, nursing mothers, and children should not take any supplements without consulting their doctor.
- Melissa Scott
- Shishodia S; Department of Biology, Texas Southern University, Houston, TX 77004, USA
- Binu Chandran; Ajay Goel
- Bone and Cartilage Research Unit, University of Liège, Institute of Pathology, Level +5, CHU Sart-Tilman, Liège 4000, Belgium
- Institute of Natural Medicine & Green Chemistry, School of Chemical Engineering and Light Industry, Guandong University of Technology, 232 Wai Huan West Road, Guangzhou Higher Education Mega Center, Guangzhou 510006 China; Susan Lehman Cullman Laboratory for Cancer Research, Department of Chemical Biology, Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA; Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Guangdong General Hospital & Guangdong Academy of Medical Sciences, Guangzhou 510030, China
- Thierry Appelboom, Rheumatology Department, Erasme University Hospital, Medical School, University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium; Christian Mélot MsciBiost, Emergency Department, Erasme University Hospital, Medical School, University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium.